Job offer Ref. # 12-20004
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. LOEWE Centre for Translational Biodiversity Genomics (LOEWE-TBG) is a joint venture of the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Goethe-University Frankfurt, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen and Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME aiming to intensify biodiversity genomics in basic and applied research. We will establish a new and taxonomically broad genome collection to study genomic and functional diversity across the tree of life and make genomic resources accessible for societal-demand driven applied research.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung and the LOEWE-TBG invite applications for a
PhD position (m/f/d) – Functional Comparative Genomics of Oomycetes
(TV-H E13, half time position)
· Library preparation and genome sequencing using latest technologies (including oxford nanopore sequencing)
· Genome assemblies and annotation
· Comparative genomics focusing on functional aspects, such as pathogenicity genes and regulatory networks
· Pattern analyses using standard algorithms and deep learning approaches
· Master or equivalent Diploma in biology, bioinformatics or related subjects
· Experience with handling large amounts of sequence data
· Experience and exceptional interest in comparative genomics and evolutionary biology research
· Ability to effectively communicate and organize workflows, to closely collaborate in interdisciplinary teams
· Proficient use of the English language (C1 or native)
What is awaiting you?
· An interesting task in a dynamic team of researchers in an international research group
· Exposure to an additional 20 research groups in the LOEWE excellence centre
· A workplace close to the city center of Frankfurt, a lively and diverse city with high life quality
· Flexible working hours –company pension scheme – Senckenberg badge for free entry in museums in Frankfurt – a family-conscious personnel policy
Salary and benefits are in accordance with a public service position in Germany (collective agreement TV-H E13, 50%). The contract shall start as soon as possible and will be limited to 36 months. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of work is in Frankfurt am Main at the Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (SBiK-F). The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
We look forward to your application!
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #12-20004) by March 8th, 2020 (deadline) by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including
– a cover letter describing your suitability and motivation
– a detailed CV
– your credentials and certificates
– and contact details of two potential references to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
For scientific enquiries please get in contact with Prof. Dr. Marco Thines (email@example.com).