Job offer ref. #09-21001
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 employees and research institutions in six federal states. Within SGN, the Senckenberg German Entomological Institute (SDEI) located in Müncheberg, near Berlin, works on systematics, biogeography and ecology of a broad range of insect groups.
Senckenberg German Entomological Institute invites applications for a
Scientific employee (m/f/d) as head of the molecular lab
(full time, tenure track)
- Research concentrating on molecular phylogeny / taxonomy or phylogeography of insects in combination with related subjects such as evolution, molecular ecology or conservation genetics of insects
- Management / coordination of the molecular genetics laboratory
- Active acquisition of third-party funding and coordination of such projects
- Internationally visible research and publication activity
- Integration in core projects of the SDEI and SGN within the framework of research on biodiversity, concomitant with active participation in the further development of Senckenberg’s profile
- Leadership and training of technical personnel, willingness to teach young scientists such as university students
- Taking over responsibility for general functions and management processes of the institute.
- A degree in biology/zoology or a related discipline, completed with a Ph.D.
- Experience in the use of a wide range of up-to-date genetic methods and respective software applications
- Experience in organization of a molecular lab
- International publication activity on insects, with a focus on genetic methods as analytical tools
- Willingness to participate in interdisciplinary work, including ability to successfully acquire third-party funded projects and to coordinate and successfully conclude these
- A solid knowledge of entomology, the capability of communicating this to the public, and experience with international cooperation are desired
- A good command of English. An adequate knowledge of German is firmly desired, and its rapid acquisition is expected if not already given
- Experience in the leadership and instruction of technical assistants, students and interns
- Flexibility, skills in team work, communication and organization, together with teaching abilities are called for. A high degree of engagement and sense of responsibility are essential.
What is awaiting you?
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of worldwide standing
- An employment that initially will be limited, but has the option to obtain tenure
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Brandenburg (TV-L E 13)
- Independent work in a motivated and professional environment
- Good opportunities for further qualification, for example, support by the SDEI to acquire an adequate command of German within short time if necessary.
The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The position is suitable for part-time. The place of employment is Müncheberg, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates and references and a letter of motivation), mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #09-21001) before 05 April 2021 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Schmitt, firstname.lastname@example.org or + 49 33432 73698 – 3701.