Since two decades, FloraWeb is the central online flora database, providing specialist information on distribution and occurrence, biology and ecology, and the endangerment and protection of wild growing (vascular) plants of Germany. The portal is operated by the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN) and is considered Germany’s leading hub for validated and curated digitized information on its flora. In close cooperation with the BfN, we extend the digital information system.
Together with our network partners (Department of Botany at the Senckenberg site in Frankfurt; Chair of Geobotany at the Martin Luther University, Thomas Meyer) and other cooperation partners, the following topics will be updated:
- Information on biology, ecology,
- Information on species distribuition (source: http://chorologie.biologie.uni-halle.de/choro/),
- Chromosome numbers (source: http://chromosomes.senckenberg.de/)
In addition, the existing content will be supplemented by the following topics:
- Digital, illustrated identification key (source: http://blumeninschwaben.de/),
- Detailed photos of features relevant to the determination,
- Virtual herbarium (based on source: https:/webapp.senckenberg.de/lausitzherbar/)
- Specialized online portal on critical plant taxa (source: https://webapp.senckenberg.de/bestikri/).
For the integration of the new subject areas into FloraWeb, the web presence will be revised and modernised on the basis of current web technologies.
Taxonomy is based on the standard list of vascular plants published by the Federal Agency, and on the 22nd edition of the Rothmaler field flora.
The project FloraWebPlus is financially supported by the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation with funds of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV).