Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt/M.
The Terrestrial Zoology division arose from the former Zoology I division following the recent structural reform in 2004. The division includes 6 sections as organizational units for the scientific collections. The care, development, and assessment of the collections are one of the priority tasks of the sections.
In the context of the research program of the Senckenberg Institution, the research activities of the department focus on the “biodiversity of continental systems” and “ecosystems and conservation”, studying invertebrates and vertebrates of the palaearctis and the tropics. Most of the projects are integrated in national and international cooperations.
- Arachnology (arachnids) [Curator: Dr. Peter Jäger]
- Entomology I (Coleoptera, Thysanoptera, Strepsiptera) [Curator: Dr. Damir Kovac]
- Entomology II ( Lepidoptera, Odonata, Hemiptera, Homoptera et al.) [Curator: Dr. Wolfgang A. Nässig]
- Entomology III (Hymenoptera) [Curator: Dr. Steffen U. Pauls]
- Herpetology (amphibians and reptiles) [Curator: Dr. Gunther Köhler]
- Ornithology (birds) [Curator: Dr. Gerald Mayr]