Phanerogams I + II
Digitization of Specimens from Rhön and Vogelsberg
The digitized specimens may be searched via SeSam here:
- Herbarium Senckenbergianum Frankfurt/M. (FR) and Hohhaus-Herbarium Lauterbach
- Rhön-Museum Fladungen
- Herbarium FULD of the Verein für Naturkunde in Osthessen, deposited at Vonderau-Museum Fulda
or via GBIF unter:
- Senckenberg: Herbarium Senckenbergianum (FR)
- Senckenberg: Herbarium Rhönmuseum Fladungen
- Senckenberg: Herbarium Vonderau – FULD
Funding from the German Research Foundation (DFG) allowed the technical curation and digitization of two important regional German collections.
Some estimated 10,000 specimens from the low mountain ranges of the Rhön and Vogelsberg were technically processed, georeferenced, determined and digitized into SeSam (incl. a scan of the specimen). The data are currently analysed but are publicly available via SeSam and GBIF.
This project allows to draw profound conclusions about changes in the distribution of plant species in Central European low mountain ranges, which are especially threatened by changes of climate and land use. Hence it is connected to the studies of the Research Institute “Biodiversity and Climate” (BiK-F).
The project (applicants: Georg Zizka, Thomas Gregor, Stefan Dressler) started October 2009 and was completed in 2014.