Education of technical assistants for natural history museums at the Senckenberg School
- Practical course on scanning electron microscopy (D. Fiege)
- Practical education in the section
Teaching at university level
- Lecture Evolution of the Metazoa (University of Frankfurt, D. Fiege: part Annelida)
- Practical course Diversity of the Metazoa (University of Frankfurt, D. Fiege: part Annelida)
- Practical course and field excursion Marine Zooplankton (University of Mainz, D. Fiege in collaboration with U. Hoeger, Mainz)
Marine Zooplankton – a practical course in cooperation with the University of Mainz
Since 2003 a joint course in Marine Plankton is conducted for undergraduate students of Zoology at Mainz University by Dr. Dieter Fiege (Senckenberg) and Dr. Ulrich Hoeger (Institute of Zoology, University of Mainz). The course combines studies of microscopic preparations of planktonic animals in Mainz and of living plankton at the Mediterranean Sea during an excursion to the Laboratoire Arago at Banyuls-sur-mer (France).
Morphology, systematics, developmental biology, and ecology are the main subjects of the course. Further aspects are covered by student presentations illustrated by digital video clips and images taken in Banyuls. The local coastal plankton is very diverse with regard to both mero- and holoplanktonic animals, including warm-water forms not occurring in the North Sea. During the second week a bottom trawl brings up the adult benthic fauna which develops from the larvae thriving in the plankton. The by-catch of fish is greatly appreciated by all participants as the tasty highlight of an evening barbecue.